Now that I'm done reading the first book, I'm hosting a Shades of Grey Charm Square Fabric Swap!
1. Sign up to be a part of the fabric swap.
2. Buy a yard of some shade of grey fabric--a grey print, a black with white print, a white with black print...you get the picture.
3. Cut that yardage into charm squares and mail them to me.
4. Once everyone has sent me their squares, I'll divide them up and you'll get a lovely variety pack of shades of grey charm squares for your next project!
If you're interested, see the bolded link below and read the details below that. Once the sign-up is complete, I'll email all the participants with details--timing, addresses, etc. (And a huge thanks to Jennifer of Ellison Lane Quilts for her super-helpful tutorial on how to host a fabric swap!).
The charm swap is open to 56 participants. U.S. mailing addresses only, please.
NEW, 8/17: Click HERE for an update on the swap.
NEW, 8/22: The swap is now full.
Charm Swap Details:
- For swapping 5" charm squares, each person will purchase 1 yard of fabric and cut it into 5" charm squares. 1 yard = 56 charms. (I recommend buying 1.25 yards- never hurts to have a little extra in case you make a cutting mistake.)
- Choose a fabric that has a small print suitable for an 5" charms. Scale of the print is very important as smaller works better in this case. A larger print has a larger repeat and you want each charm to have enough of the print showcased on each piece. If you are swapping larger cuts of fabric such as 10" squares, you could have a larger scale print.
- Fabric should be designer label, 100% cotton, quilt shop quality fabric. No Hancocks, Joanns or Michael's fabrics. For a fabric swap, the fun is receiving quality fabric that you might not be able to pick up around the corner.
- Fabric must be new and unwashed and must come from a smoke free environment.
- Before mailing, cut your fabric into 5" x 5" charm squares. Press your fabric before cutting. 1 yard = 56 charm squares (5" x 5".) Here's a great tutorial on how to cut fabric into charms by Elizabeth Hartman.
- Put your fabric in a ziplock bag and include an index card with your name and email address.
- Upload pictures of your fabric to the swap Flickr group (more details to follow!) and include the name of the fabric, designer, etc. This ensures that there are no duplicate fabrics chosen and allows everyone to find out more about the fabrics in case they would like to order more once they have received their charms.
- Participants must include a prepaid self-addressed, stamped envelope along with their charms when mailing them. A very easy way to handle this is to include a SAS priority mail envelope for $5.15.
All right...time to shop! And to get you started, my friend Jackie Kunkel over at Canton Village Quilt Works put together a little sampling of the shades of grey fabrics she has available for purchase in her shop. Head over to her shop and she'll be happy to help you out!
I hope you'll join me as we explore all the shades of black, white and everything in between. Oh, and does anyone have a copy of 50 Shades Darker? I need something to read while I plan my grey quilt. :)
p.s. If you decide to join in, grab the Shades of Grey Fabric Swap button in the sidebar to the upper right and post it on your blog!