Monday, September 17, 2012

Final Color Challenge blocks!

Life got in the way of a lot of sewing in August and my last two color challenge blocks were one of the things that got pushed to the back burner. However, Victoria just started a lights and whites challenge over at 15 Minutes Play, and finishing my color challenge blocks became my personal ticket to joining the new challenge.

Here we go!

Lime Green:
The lime fabric I started with is actually the middle one, which comes out looking very yellow. I liked how it popped with the magenta and pink in the stripe above it.


Made fabric:

Four squares cut from it:

My finished block:
Takeaways:
Lime works with so many different colors. I tried a few other combos out before deciding on this one, and my original idea had been based on the coverlet on our bed while on a beach vacation: coral, lime and salmon. I like it with brighter colors, though, like the orange and magenta, to make it more modern. The dark brown really grounds it as well. Lime can be tricky because it gets BRIGHT really quickly, so I think the challenge for this color is in finding the right hue to work with.

Kelly Green:
Besides the time issue, part of why I had trouble finishing this challenge was that I felt greened out. Which was surprising, because green is one of my favorite colors. I wanted to try something different than the other combos I'd used in this challenge, so I grabbed the purple and the floral and worked off of those.

Made fabric: 

Four squares cut from it:

Finished block:

Takeaways:
I love how bright this turned out! As I mentioned earlier, I do love green, but I usually go for more subtle shades than kelly green. That meant that I was pleasantly surprised with how this block turned out. The pink didn't surprise me, but I was pleasantly surprised with how the yellow and purple accented it.

See my previous blocks here.

So here's where I am right now:
Laying out the blocks was a long process. I'm fairly set on this arrangement, but I want to sleep on it for a few more nights before sewing the blocks together. How do you think I should finish it?

  • No border
  • Beige/khaki border to match the fabric in the blocks
  • Multicolor made fabric border
  • Several borders--multicolor made fabric and beige khaki
  • Something else?
What's your opinion?


p.s. Shades of Gray fabric swap participants, the deadline (September 20) is approaching! 
I still need fabric from 15 or so people. Please get it to me soon so that I can get the squares sorted and mailed back out!


2 comments:

  1. Love it! I love both versions, and I especially love it all put together. If it was mine, I'd do a skinny black border around what you have and then a multicolored border after that. I think. :-) Have fun playing with ideas!

    Great seeing you tonight. I had a nice talk with Linda about Modern Quilt Guild!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently become a blog contributor on 15 min sand I did not realize this was your quilt until I saw it your most recent post! I luv It and have admired it many times over at the 15 mins blog! I is just wonderful and the quilting is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete