Monday, November 5, 2012

Wow!

I was so thrilled to find out today that my Color Challenge quilt is one of the final five favorites in scrap quilt category in the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side. The final tally in the online festival was 628 FABULOUS quilts. I'm still a bit floored that mine was selected. Please head on over to Amy's blog through November 8th to drool over the quilts. And vote if you like. No pressure to vote for me; I actually like one of the other scrap quilts better than mine, so I'm not even voting for me! :)

Two more things: first, a peek at what I'm working on now, which may or may not be for the Tula Pink Sew Along.

Second, and more importantly, Victoria at Bumblebeans and Luana at eQuilter, both incredible "make-it-happen" ladies, have been discussing ways that quilters can help those affected by the devastation of Hurricane Sandy last week. Luana spearheaded a huge charity quilt push for the victims of Japan's tsunami back in 2011 and is working to do the same thing here. They are asking for bed-size quilts, as opposed to lap-size quilts. I don't know about you, but to me, (quickly) making a bed-size quilt seems daunting.

But as I sit here working on contest quilts and stockings for my kids and a quilt for a wedding gift, I know I NEED to do something to help. The need that is out there, as winter is approaching, makes my current projects seem so frivolous. Maybe you're in the same boat as me: You want to help, but...

So here's what I'm proposing. Let's make some blocks. A project we do together seems so much more do-able. I'll assemble the blocks into a quilt (quilts?!), and either find someone to donate the machine quilting or do some basic quilting myself. At the moment, I'm thinking a basic block design, such as either a Nine-patch or a string quilt block, and hoping it can be both functional and a bit attractive! Do you have scraps? (dumb question, I know!) Will you make a block or two? (Please?) If you're interested in helping, please leave a comment on this post and I'll put together a post with more concrete details based on the level of interest.

And finally, since this post is a bit heavy on words and light on the good stuff (the photos!), I'll leave you with a photo of the cowboy vest I sewed for Halloween. Oh yeah, and the two incredibly cute trick or treaters at my house. I'm biased. I'm not afraid to admit it! :)



7 comments:

  1. Ellie,

    I agree that making an entire bed-sized quilt is daunting! I think what you've proposed is a fabulous idea though!! Please let me know how I can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steven,
      You are a no-reply blogger so I couldn't email you. If you're willing to make blocks (see my latest post), please email me and I'll get you my address.
      Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. I have a bunch of string blocks made up 8.5"..would love to donate them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever you need. I'm in. I have lots of blocks made up and I can make more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me in - just tell me what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! That is just great! I am so happy for you (but not all that surprised)! I will try to make some blocks. Give me info. I'm feeling like a schmuck that I don't have a quilt to donate and don't have time to make one, so this would be a good way to contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous quilt. I checked out the competition and even added a vote your way.

    I can volunteer to help with the quilting if you need a long arm. I'll even rope in another volunteer.

    ReplyDelete