Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Oh Baby! WIP


There's nothing more satisfying that working on a project and REALLY liking how it's coming together.
Well, except maybe the proverbial icing on the cake--not sewing it under the gun at the last minute and just being able to enjoy the process.
And the fact that my office/sewing studio is in our house's bonus room, so I've had the soothing sound of never-ending raindrops over my head for about 10 days now. (This is my single attempt to look at all that rain with a glass-half-full approach, because in reality it's making the whole family stir crazy and wondering when spring is going to come here to Michigan already!?!)

I've been working on the quilt for my soon-to-be-born nephew, which is also my April goal in the Lovely Year of Finishes. You can see my initial post (and the pattern I'm using) here.

So far, I have  nine blocks:
 (Fun, huh? Just wait til you see what happens to them!)

And cut them up into quarters:

And put them back together again:
(Not pieced yet...just tossed up on the design wall...excuse the haphazard-ness)

I love the pattern! I love the fabrics! I love that it is looking like I imagined it would, which is not always a guarantee! 

Here are a few close-ups. I tried to pick one favorite and came away with three, so I guess that's a good thing.

I kind of like how this one has a blue "border" though I don't think I have enough balance in the fabrics to do that throughout the whole quilt.


Looking forward to sewing some more!
Linking up with Year of Lovely Finishes and WIP Wednesday.



12 comments:

  1. Really a one of a kind baby quilt! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how much that changes things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is the cutest little boy quilt! I love how you constructed the blocks! I am totally going to try this. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous!! Simple design, but so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that pattern! It is going to be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that's a clever trick to make a simple block become interesting. Reminds me of the Bento Box quilts that were being done a couple of years ago, but without the differing size strips. Love this!

    Elizabeth E.
    opquilt.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! These colours work perfectly together!
    Esther
    ipatchandquilt DOT wordpress DOT com
    esthersipatchandquilt AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks interesting. I've been on a shop hop around here and picked up lots of fat quarters. Now I think I'll use them like you have in this post! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the fabrics...Very modern & boyish. The mom is gonna adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun. It's like magic!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Baby - this is so fabulous for a little boy! Love every thing about it!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete