June is the service project month for the Kalamazoo Log Cabin Quilt Guild, and the project was baby quilts. I'd known about the deadline for quite a while, but due to a few out-of-town long weekends in May/June and my general habit of last-minute-ness, I started my quilt the day before the meeting.
So it needed to be quick! I went with simple strips--I'd purchased this dinosaur fabric (Oh Boy! from Free spirit, several years ago) and coordinating prints back in 2011, and this seemed like the perfect time to finally use it!
I pieced the top on Monday and spent a few hours on Tuesday quilting it. I decided to stitch a different motif on each type of strip. You can see a few of them close up here:
And then you can see them even better on the back.
A great quilt to practice on, and I think it turned out cute. Plus...I still have enough fabric left to make a second one! Now I just need a deadline, preferably a tight one, for motivation! :)
I machine stitched the binding on one hour before the meeting started. The group collected something like 130 quilts for two organizations in Kalamazoo: Nurse Family Partnership and the Healthy Babies, Healthy Start Program. Here's hoping the recipients enjoy them!
Linking up with Quilt Story's Fabric Tuesday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict's Can I get a whoop whoop Friday, and Crazy Mom Quilts' Finish it up Friday!