I used a ruler and chalk to draw random straight lines in all directions, and then stitched on the lines. At that point I felt like it needed something else, but I wasn't sure what. I took the quilt to our Great Lakes Modern Quilt Guild meeting last Saturday, which was perfect, because the other ladies had plenty of ideas. I ultimately went with stitching a second set of lines about 1/2" from the first set, based on some quilting we saw in a magazine being passed around at the meeting. I'm quite happy with it!
Now I need to bind it and then wash it, which will help remove those chalk lines! We have plans to visit this family the first weekend in April, and I'll be happy to take the finished quilt with me to give!