Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Around the Rail Fence

I'm excited to share another quilt I made that has been featured in a magazine. The quilt, which I named "Around the Rail Fence," uses pre-cut 2-1/2" wide strips and then solid yardage and appeared in Fons & Porter's Quilting Quickly magazine. It was super easy (and fun!) to make! 

Here's one of the ways it was photographed in Quilting Quickly: 
Photo courtesy of Fons & Porter's Quilting Quickly January-February 2016 issue
There's another photo as well that is only in the magazine and not online. 
Below are a few photos I took of the quilt after I got it back recently. For those not familiar with the magazine publishing process, there are typically 4-6 months between making a quilt and the magazine appearing on newsstands. That's definitely evident when you consider the magazine photo (fall leaves) versus my photo (snow!).



This past fall we had a gorgeous rock wall put in our backyard to help create a patio and terrace our hilly yard. Based on how this photo turned out, I think you'll be seeing this rock wall frequently as I photograph quilts in coming months! 
I (stupidly) traipsed down the icy stairs that lead from our deck to the bottom of this rock wall to take this photo and wiped out, bouncing down the last three steps on my butt (with camera in hand!).  So please take an extra moment to admire the photo knowing that it was literally a pain in the butt to take--I have the bruise to prove it! 

Back to the quilt: The fabrics used are from Paintbrush Studio's Marblehead Gemstones, Jewels & Quartz collection by Ro Gregg. This line is so rich with color, texture, and depth. And check out that gorgeous teal marble print on the back! Paintbrush Studio calls the 2-1/2" precut strips "Snack Packs." Isn't that a great name? 

This close-up shows off the quilting a bit. My friend and fellow guild member Diane Oakes quilted it for me. I love what she did--a geometric design in the white borders, and a more organic almost paisley design in the Rail Fence blocks in neutral thread. The quilting pops on the white and blends on the colors--perfect!


Here's what the magazine cover looks like:
You can find this issue of Quilting Quickly here.
There's also a free video tutorial for making this quilt. 
You can read more about this quilt on the Inspired by Fabric blog.
Thanks, Fons & Porter, for featuring my quilt! 

No comments:

Post a Comment