Monday, June 17, 2019

Modern with a Twist - Sawtooth Star

I'm part of the Modern with a Twist feature in the newest issue of Modern by the Yard.
Find the issue here.

The concept behind this feature is to take a traditional quilt block and make it modern. This issue features the Sawtooth Star block. I chose to use the Better Basics White & Black collection paired with solids. I used a great black and white dot print for the entire star to make it a "solid" shape. I chose lime green to add a pop of color, and black for the corners to create dimension.


Here's what the single block looks like in a quilt. The way that the black and lime sections come together creates a secondary design. 


Then I tried the same design using a variety of black and white prints. 


And finally, I branched out in colors, adding in teal, fuchsia and orange. I like this one best! 

Be sure to check out the entire issue! There are two other Sawtooth Star variations, several projects, and lots more fun.

One last thing: I created a block for Modern with a Twist once before (see it here), and it became my Rolling Waves pattern. Find the pattern here.

No comments:

Post a Comment