Thursday, April 9, 2020

Star Crossing QAL: Week 5

Welcome to Week 5 of the Star Crossing QAL!

It's time to quilt!
The best part about assembling this quilt is how FAST it goes together. And if you're not to this step yet, no worries--you have time to catch up. 
 There's even still time to get started. 

If you still need to purchase the pattern, you can find it here.

Week 5: Machine Quilting
I love being able to photograph a finished top, but then comes the big question...how will I quilt this? If I'm machine quilting a quilt myself, part of that answer includes balancing what I'd like to do with what I'm actually capable of doing! 

First, basting: How do you prefer to baste? I used to be a dedicated pin baster. Then I switched to spray baste, but still on the floor, taping the backing down and working through the layers. After watching a video from Christa Quilts, I've switched to basting on my large ironing board. 


Let's walk through a few machine quilting options:

Option 1: Straight line quilting! For my first Star Crossing quilt, I went with straight line quilting using my walking foot. I don't mark lines, beyond the first one. I just use the walking foot width (or if I want it wider, that handy little L-shaped tool that came with my sewing machine--anyone know what it's called?). I chose diagonal lines to emphasize the diagonal flow of the stars. 




Option 2: Free motion quilting! For my second Star Crossing quilt, I had more time, so I free motion quilted it, using different designs in different areas. I find it easier to do on a smaller quilt like this one rather than a lap-sized quilt because gravity doesn't factor in quite so much, pulling on the quilt as I move it. 

Psst...do you love the mini rainbow backing fabric as much as I do?
 I quilted a square spiral in the center using my walking foot:


I "traced" the rainbows in the star block centers and did some back and forth lines in the star points (and an easier "outline" in the background of the small stars):


I did a lot of each quilting for the background, providing texture in the solid white. The part I'm most proud of is the outer border--I did diagonal lines and tried something new--changing directions partway through each side. I'm really happy with how it turned out!



And option 3: Outsource it! If you'd prefer not to tackle the machine quilting yourself, then I'd recommend taking advantage of the deal from Piece, Love and Quilting: 

Pam and Diane, the lovely ladies at Piece, Love and Quilting, are offering a special deal to QAL participants:
25% off computerized edge to edge long arm quilting 
(including batting) for Star Crossing quilts

Contact them via FB or IG to take advantage of this discount!



I can't wait to see what you decide! 
I put two weeks on the QAL calendar for machine quilting--let's compare notes then! 

************************************************************************************
Quilt Along schedule:
March 12: Fabric selection
March 18: Cutting
March 25: Small and medium stars
April 2: Center star and assembly
April 9: Machine quilting
April 22: Binding


The downloadable version of the Star Crossing pattern is on sale in my Etsy shop, so grab your copy today!

Purchase the pattern (currently 20% off!) here.

*Bring a friend deal: Get a friend to sign up for the QAL and purchase the pattern, and you'll receive 20% off an additional pattern of your choice! 
Simply email me your friend's name and I'll email you the coupon.

************************************************************************************

Over the Rainbow fabrics
If you'd like to use the same fabrics, here are some shops carrying them (please contact me if you know of any others and I'll add them in!):

2 comments:

  1. I’m actually thinking of making this quilt too into a tablecloth. Have you ever done such a thing and if yes do you have any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLO EVERYONE.. FEW MUNINETS TO REDY THIS INFOR ON HERPES CURE 2018..
    2017 MY MOTHER WAS DIAGNOSED OF HERPES/ KNOWN AS GENITAL WARTS ,I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON HER MEDICATION TILL A POINT I EVEN LOST HOPE,BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS GRADUALLY DYING AND LOST HER MEMORY TOO, I WAS SO DESPERATE TO GET MY MOTHER BACK TO NORMAL, ONE DAY MY UNCLE WHO LIVES IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM TOLD ME ABOUT DR OLIHA ,WHO HELPED HIM GET RID OF HERPES /GENITAL WART WITH HERBAL MEDICINE AND HIS HERBAL SOAP ,I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS ,ALTHOUGH I NEVER BELIEVE IN HERB BUT, I KEEP TO BELIEVE BECAUSE MY UNCLE CAN'T TELL ME LIES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH CONDITION I CONTACTED DR OLIHA VIA HIS EMAIL; OLIHA.MIRACLEMEDICINE@GMAIL.COM , YOU CAN TALK TO HIM VIA CALL OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER ON +2349038382931 , HE REPLIED AND ASK ME TO SEND MY HOME ADDRESS AND MY MOTHER'S DETAIL AND THEN I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND 4 DAYS OF USAGE THE WARTS FELL OFF, MY MOTHER I NOW TOTALLY CURED AND MY MOTHER IS LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN. YOU CAN TALK TO DR VIA HIS MOBILE NUMBER OR WHATS APP HIM ON +2349038382931  ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR DR OLIHA  

    ReplyDelete