Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Star Crossing Week 4 Gallery + Border Tip

How is your quilt top looking? 

I finally sewed the outer borders on my scrappy version yesterday. For some reason, that's the hardest part for me--not hard, difficult, but hard as in needing motivation. Sewing on plain borders is so boring! :) 


Adding Borders 101
Anyway...if you haven't sewn your borders on yet, here's my tip: 
(And if you have already, keep this tip in mind for future quilts).

The "easy" way to add borders: cut strips, piece together as needed, and sew them on. Trim excess. No measuring involved, but also no guarantee that your quilt is as square as it can be. 

The "right" way to add borders: Measure your quilt top lengthwise in the center. Cut two border strips that length. Find the center of each border strip and the side of your quilt. Pin the border to the quilt edges, matching center pins and end pins. Ease the border fabric and quilt edge to fit as you sew. Repeat for the top and bottom borders. This will help keep your quilt as square as possible.

I admit I sometimes take the easy way...but it's good to know both methods! 

Star Crossing Quilt Top Gallery

It's been fun seeing some of the finished quilt tops on IG and by email. I wanted to share a few with you! I'd love to see yours - tag me on IG (@lisaerin1121) or email me a photo.

from Lindy S.:

@joejodub

@llarmold


 @suscald


On Thursday we'll start talking machine quilting!


Quilt Along schedule:
March 12: Fabric selection
March 18: Cutting
March 25: Small and medium stars
April 2: Center star and assembly
April 9: Machine quilting
April 22: Binding


The downloadable version of the Star Crossing pattern is on sale in my Etsy shop, so grab your copy today!


Purchase the pattern (currently 20% off!) here.

*Bring a friend deal: Get a friend to sign up for the QAL and purchase the pattern, and you'll receive 20% off an additional pattern of your choice! 
Simply email me your friend's name and I'll email you the coupon.

************************************************************************************

In addition, Pam and Diane, the lovely ladies at Piece, Love and Quilting, are offering a special deal to QAL participants:
25% off computerized edge to edge long arm quilting 
(including batting) for Star Crossing quilts

Contact them via FB or IG to take advantage of this discount!


************************************************************************************
Over the Rainbow fabrics
If you'd like to use the same fabrics, here are some shops carrying them (please contact me if you know of any others and I'll add them in!):

No comments:

Post a Comment