Thursday, April 23, 2020

Star Crossing Week 6

Welcome to Week 6 of the Star Crossing QAL!

We're almost done--just the binding left. Woohoo! 

If you still need to purchase the pattern, you can find it here.

Week 6: Binding
If your machine quilting is done, it's time for the last step: binding! 

For me, choosing the binding for this quilt was a no-brainer. I love a good striped binding, and the rainbow stripe in this collection was the perfect fit. 

Let's talk about the actual binding process. 
There are a few different common methods---which do you use? 

For me, it depends on the quilt's purpose. If it's a gift, I use 2-1/4" wide strips, machine stitch to the front, and then hand stitch the binding to the back. 

If it's not a gift, and/or if I'm under a deadline to finish it, I will cut 2-1/2" wide strips and use one of the these two methods: 
Method 1: Machine stitch to the quilt front, press binding away from the front, flip quilt over and press binding around the quilt edge, and secure with binding clips. Then I'll use the blind hem foot on my sewing machine and stitch in the ditch between the binding and the quilt front, which catches the folded binding edge on the back side as well. (I use 2-1/2" wide strips for this because it gives me more binding to catch on the back side. If you're good at this technique, you can also use 2-1/4" strips.) Thanks to my friend Joanne for teaching me this method a few years ago when I was in a time crunch!
Using the blind hem foot to sew in the ditch.


Here's what the front and back look like using this technique.

Method 2: Machine stitch the binding to the quilt back, press binding around to the front, and secure with binding clips. Then I topstitch the folded edge of the binding on the front, which secures it in place and leaves a stitched line near my binding on the back. (Again, this can be done with 2-1/4" wide strips as well--I just prefer a little extra wiggle room). 
Stitching binding to quilt back.

Top stitching binding on the front.

After your binding is complete, don't forget a label! 
Sit back and admire your quilt. (And please send me a photo and/or tag me on IG!)

I'll be binding my scrappy Star Crossing quilt this week! And since I have all the time in the world, maybe I'll even hand stitch it! :) 

Thank you so much for being a part of this QAL. I really enjoyed it and I hope you did too!

************************************************************************************
Quilt Along schedule:
March 12: Fabric selection
March 18: Cutting
March 25: Small and medium stars
April 2: Center star and assembly
April 9: Machine quilting
April 23: Binding


The downloadable version of the Star Crossing pattern is on sale in my Etsy shop, so grab your copy today!

Purchase the pattern (currently 20% off!) here.

*Bring a friend deal: Get a friend to sign up for the QAL and purchase the pattern, and you'll receive 20% off an additional pattern of your choice! 
Simply email me your friend's name and I'll email you the coupon.

************************************************************************************

Over the Rainbow fabrics
If you'd like to use the same fabrics, here are some shops carrying them (please contact me if you know of any others and I'll add them in!):

1 comment:

  1. HELLO EVERYONE.. FEW MUNINETS TO REDY THIS INFOR ON HERPES CURE 2018..
    2017 MY MOTHER WAS DIAGNOSED OF HERPES/ KNOWN AS GENITAL WARTS ,I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON HER MEDICATION TILL A POINT I EVEN LOST HOPE,BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS GRADUALLY DYING AND LOST HER MEMORY TOO, I WAS SO DESPERATE TO GET MY MOTHER BACK TO NORMAL, ONE DAY MY UNCLE WHO LIVES IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM TOLD ME ABOUT DR OLIHA ,WHO HELPED HIM GET RID OF HERPES /GENITAL WART WITH HERBAL MEDICINE AND HIS HERBAL SOAP ,I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS ,ALTHOUGH I NEVER BELIEVE IN HERB BUT, I KEEP TO BELIEVE BECAUSE MY UNCLE CAN'T TELL ME LIES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH CONDITION I CONTACTED DR OLIHA VIA HIS EMAIL; OLIHA.MIRACLEMEDICINE@GMAIL.COM , YOU CAN TALK TO HIM VIA CALL OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER ON +2349038382931 , HE REPLIED AND ASK ME TO SEND MY HOME ADDRESS AND MY MOTHER'S DETAIL AND THEN I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND 4 DAYS OF USAGE THE WARTS FELL OFF, MY MOTHER I NOW TOTALLY CURED AND MY MOTHER IS LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN. YOU CAN TALK TO DR VIA HIS MOBILE NUMBER OR WHATS APP HIM ON +2349038382931  ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR DR OLIHA  

    ReplyDelete