Monday, April 30, 2012

Color Challenge Mauve Block


I'm participating in the Color Challenge over at 15 Minutes Play. Short version, each week we're given a "challenging" color to use in a block design. 
I missed the first week (mauve) so here is my make-up block.

There's something about the word mauve...it just sounds unattractive, doesn't it?! 

I found a mauve FQ in my stash (the middle fabric shown below, which here looks strangely pink) and then saw the striped batik. Right there, I knew what direction I wanted to take. I loved how the striped batik sort of "updated" the mauve, which I can't help but think of as an 80s color. I pulled a darker plum and another blue to balance things, and then was pleasantly surprised to work in the light green/yellow/whatever you want to call it fabric--another fabric of mine that I can't decide if I like or not! 


I used those fabrics to make this:


and then this:


I liked seeing that mauve could receive a style update and join us in the 21st century! :) Seriously though, I found it interesting that pairing it with very gray-ish blues really helped to "un-gray" (dare I say brighten?) the mauve up, making it less gray.

Click here to see my previous block using avocado.
Click here to see my next block using peach

No comments:

Post a Comment