Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Scrappy Mosaic Pillow

When I first started this blog, I made a list of all the ideas I had of projects to sew and showcase. One of the first things I put on that list was the Mod Mosaic Floor Pillow tutorial by Elizabeth Hartman. I'm a huge fan of her blog and her work.

When I saw this post by Danny at Mommy for Reals, asking for 20" square pillowcases for an outreach program for teens, in need, I knew I had my chance.

Last night, I took these scraps, plus white solid:

And made my own version of the Mod Mosaic pillow:
I had so much fun sewing this; I definitely will make one again.

Here are some close-ups:

The original tutorial calls for quilting the pillow top before adding the backing, but I skipped that step because I didn't have time. Still cute, though, and a great way to use up leftovers!

Check out Elizabeth's tutorial, and if you have time, consider making a pillowcase (any pillowcase, not just that one) for Danny's endeavor.

Linking up with Quilt Story and Confessions of a Fabric Addict "Can I get a whoop whoop!" to show off my fun new pillow!


8 comments:

  1. I love it! What beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pillow! So Modern and free form!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty! love the colours!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! It is beautiful --- and I am amazed that you did that all in one night :) You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful pillow, and how kind of you to make it to brighten the life of an unknown teen! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm making this pattern this week! I'm also making 20" instead of the 24" (I think) that the pattern calls for. Did you adjust your block size at all, or just trim the whole thing down more before sewing it to the back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't follow the pattern exactly. I used the technique and ended up making just two bigger pieces rather than nine separate "blocks." Then I sewed the two pieces together to make the pillow top. As I worked, I kept measuring my pieced section to see how close I was getting to 20" and then adding on the appropriate sides. Does that help at all? Have fun--I can't wait to make another one!

      Delete