Monday, July 9, 2012

Red, White & Quilted

It may not have been done in time to celebrate the fourth of July, and it definitely isn't hanging on my lovely rose colored front door now, but I've finished my patriotic door quilt!

I talked a bit about this project here, but I wanted to show you how I made it as well. 

I've been playing along in the Color Challenge over at 15 Minutes Play, where each week we "make" fabric using the week's challenge color and whatever we think goes with it. I didn't have any big red or blue fabric pieces that I loved, and I feel like many patriotic quilts start looking country quickly, so I decided to create some blue and red made fabric to work with.

 Here's the blue:

And the red:

I cut strips from the red and pieced it with solid white strips to make the bottom portion. You can see my quilting here--a back and forth free motion line on the white, and simple straight lines on the red (cause there was enough going on in the fabric itself!)

I used solid white and the blue made fabric to paper piece the star for the top portion. I did just one row of outline quilting on the white, and then stitched radiating straight lines from the star's "elbows," if you know what I mean. 

Another close-up. I'm really happy with how this turned out (and how quickly it came together...now I just need to start a project more than 2 days before its intended holiday and I'll be set!) 
Linking up with the One Thing, One Week Challenge over at Amy's Creative Side and Fabric Tuesday over at Quilt Story.


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful...thanks for showing the process!! Love the quilting you did on it! You are all ready for the fourth of July!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great door quilt! I love how the quilting radiates from the star :) for some reason, I some times find it hard to find my motivation until the last minute. think of it this way, you didn't miss the 4th of July, you are prepared waaaay ahead of time for the 4th, 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cool! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fun! I love the improviness of it all.

    ReplyDelete