Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Finally Finished! My Color Challenge Quilt

Throughout the summer, I participated in the Color Challenge over at 15 Minutes Play. Each week, Victoria would choose a different challenging color, and everyone would "make" fabric using scraps of that color and whatever other colors they chose to go with it. Such a fun way to play with color! You can read about each of my blocks and color choices starting here.

I assembled the blocks, added two borders (one pieced out of made fabric), and finished quilting it just this past weekend--perfect timing for the Blogger's Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side, as well as linking up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict's Friday Can I get a whoop whoop and Quilt Story's Fabric Tuesday!


Quilt Stats:
Finished Quilt Measures: 44" square
Quilted by: Me!
Best Category: Scrap Quilt, Throw Quilt, Home Machine Quilted...



Here's a flat shot, as well as a not-so-straight flat shot, but the colors showed up so vibrantly that I wanted to show it anyway.



I did both straight and wavy-lined machine quilting on different sections of the quilt, as you can see in the close-ups. I like that the straight line areas in the khaki create subtle texture without distracting from the pieced "ribbons."



p.s. This quilt is one of the five semi-finalists in the Blogger's Quilt Festival scrap category! Click here to read more and to help make blocks for quilts for Sandy victims. 

23 comments:

  1. This is very cool! It does look like ribbons; in fact, it wasn't until the bottom photo that I saw the stars framed by the ribbons... Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a gorgeous quilt and it really does have a ribbon-like effect around the stars. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the colors are beautiful as is the quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, that is a great quilt. I think i need to try this idea. It is so wonderfully set off by the background. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love scrap quilts, I love the idea of using scraps as new fabric rather than just using the scraps as they are, hmmmm another quilt to add to my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the use of your scraps. This one goes on my very long list of quilts I would like to make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very fun scrap quilt! I also love your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I love that it's a very modern scrap quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic scrap quilt and quilting. The color really pops and I love the background fabric. It's such a nice contrast to the vibrant colors. It makes it glow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh its BEAUTIFUL! Nice job! I still have to put my blocks together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How interesting! The recreated fabric makes for a very dynamic look. Next stop for me is to check out your posts on the process.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like confetti, what a great use of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this quilt. What a wonderful way to use up those scraps. Love all your bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Neat! I really want to try 15 minutes to play, but never have had time. I can't wait for Victoria's new book to come out. Maybe that will get me going on it finally! I love your quilt! See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun use of "made" fabric and scraps! Love your colors. And your quilting is super! Love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great scrappy quilt! I love the darker background. It makes the colors really pop.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is really beautiful! I enjoyed looking back on your posts about making fabric. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This turned out *so* cool, I just love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your "made" fabric really shines in this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. great job using your 'made' fabric. what a fresh and peaceful quilt.

    Come see my Batik Tulips #46
    and my antique zigzag-a-licious quilt #23

    ReplyDelete