Thursday, March 26, 2020

Star Crossing QAL: Week 3

Welcome to Week 3 of the Star Crossing QAL!
Hello! I'm glad you're here! I don't know about you, but I'm finding a little extra time (not much--my boys are here all day!--time to sew these days, which is one silver lining to what's going on right now. 

Where are you on your Star Crossing quilt? If you're feeling behind, don't worry! It's not hard to catch up. There's even still time to get started. 

If you still need to purchase the pattern, you can find it here



It's week 3 and time to make some star blocks!
I'll let you in on a little secret...you won't actually need to fully assemble the medium star blocks this week, so there's less to do than you thought. 

I recommend making all your flying geese units first, or if you prefer, at least making all the flying geese units of the same size first, and then assembling the blocks. 
Here are my flying geese units:


I also have two tips for you this week as you sew. 

Tip 1:
The first is for flying geese assembly. I don't love drawing diagonal lines on the wrong side of every square I'm using. It takes more time and sometimes I'm not as accurate going from corner to corner as I'd like.

Instead, I use a magical tool: masking tape!

By aligning a masking tape strip with your sewing needle, you can use the line it creates as a guide while you sew. Simply align your square on your background rectangle, make sure the tip of the square/rectangle sandwich lines up with the masking tape edge, and sew! Keep the corner lined up with the masking tape. No lines needed!
I also made a video demonstrating how to do this: find it here.


Tip 2:
As you press your pieces while assembling the star blocks, pay attention to pressing direction. 
When you sew flying geese units to opposite sides of the center square, press the seams toward the center square. This minimizes the bulk that is being pressed over, and prepares the piece for nesting. 
When you sew corner squares to your flying geese units, press the seams toward the corner squares. This does the same thing--minimizes the bulk being pressed over, and prepares for nesting. 


When you go to join those pieces, your seams will nest, making matching them easier!


My finished small star blocks:


One last thing to point out today that a few people have asked about. Because of how the quilt is assembled, you only need to add two sides of star points to the center squares for the medium star blocks. If your center square fabric is directional, like mine, make sure you refer to the Quilt Assembly Diagram and sew the star points to the correct sides!

My finished medium star blocks:

Psst! If you're working with a directional background fabric, I'll be back on Saturday with some special tips for you.


Finished your small and medium stars? Have a question?
Leave a comment below or post on IG using:
 @lisaerin1121
 #starcrossingquiltalong 
#starcrossingweek3

Quilt Along schedule:
March 12: Fabric selection
March 18: Cutting
March 25: Small and medium stars
April 2: Center star and assembly (I can't promise there won't be some April Fool's jokes...)
April 9: Machine quilting
April 22: Binding


The downloadable version of the Star Crossing pattern is on sale in my Etsy shop, so grab your copy today!


Purchase the pattern (currently 20% off!) here.

*Bring a friend deal: Get a friend to sign up for the QAL and purchase the pattern, and you'll receive 20% off an additional pattern of your choice! 
Simply email me your friend's name and I'll email you the coupon.

************************************************************************************

In addition, Pam and Diane, the lovely ladies at Piece, Love and Quilting, are offering a special deal to QAL participants:
25% off computerized edge to edge long arm quilting 
(including batting) for Star Crossing quilts

Contact them via FB or IG to take advantage of this discount!


************************************************************************************
Over the Rainbow fabrics
If you'd like to use the same fabrics, here are some shops carrying them (please contact me if you know of any others and I'll add them in!):

************************************************************************************
Stay at Home and Hop With Us!



No doubt like me, all of your upcoming quilty events have been postponed or  cancelled and you find yourself now stitchin’ up a storm at home!  Why not take a break and join me on a virtual pattern designer shop hop?

Come join the fun and virtually hop on over to some of my favorite friends in the quilting industry!!

Starting on Saturday, March 21st, I’ll invite you to explore the newest offerings, patterns and notions from my fellow colleagues.  You’ll meet new pattern designers, explore new quilting websites, and perhaps make a purchase or two along the way. All of them have something unique to offer to you – our virtual shop hoppers !

With new and exciting sites to explore throughout the week, you’ll be happy you took and break and virtually hopped and shopped with all of our new friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment