Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Virtual Lectures & Workshops

What's on your back burner list? 
Those things that you always intend to do, but keep pushing off? 
My back burner list is pretty long, but I moved something up to the front and got it done! 


I've done some lectures and quilt classes and always want to do more, but life (moving for a year and then moving back; kids) always got in the way of actually promoting these programs. 

Here we go! 
I have two lectures and three classes that I'm now promoting--all being offered virtually via Zoom for now. When that changes and in-person offerings are back on the table, I'll let you know! 

Lectures:
These lectures are great for guilds looking to fill unexpected programming holes because there's no need to worry about travel logistics and/or available dates--with no traveling right now, chances are I can be available when you need me! 

In this hour-long lecture, I offer an insider's look at the world of quilt magazine publishing. I draw on my eight years of experience as an editor for several different quilt magazines, providing a behind-the-scenes look at assigning projects to designers, the magic of photoshoots, and how a magazine comes together. I'll also share tips and tricks for submitting designs and thoughts on how the industry is changing in the advent of digital publishing. This lecture includes a trunk show of projects I've had featured in quilting magazines.
1-hour trunk show



In this trunk show, I'll share the quilts that illustrate my journey from traditional to modern quilting. Each of my quilts comes with a story about the artists who inspired my work (Victoria Findlay Wolfe and Gwen Marston, for starters!), as well as plenty of close-up looks. I'll also walk you through the process of sewing a wonky log cabin block, my personal favorite! If you're interested in exploring the no-rules world of improv piecing and the design doors it can open, this is the lecture for you!
1-hour trunk show


Workshops: 
These workshops are available for guilds, quilt shops, or even a group of friends who just want to get together online and learn something new. I can tailor these workshops to your needs and desires--just let me know. 

Intro to Improv Piecing
Interested in improv piecing techniques but not sure where to start? I can help! I'll walk you through the steps to create three different improvisationally pieced blocks: wonky stars, wonky flying geese, and wonky log cabin blocks. Wonky piecing can seem intimidating, but I'll make the blocks along with you, and you'll leave the workshop with confidence in your improv abilities! I'll also share quilts I've made using these techniques for added inspiration. BONUS: The blocks I demonstrate are featured in Wonk Around the Block, my new 6-part Block of the Month pattern. Ask me about incorporating the pattern into this workshop.
3-hour workshop



Wonky Spirals
My original tried-and-true improv piecing pattern! Learn to create a beginner's version of wonky log cabin blocks for a fun modern quilt made with no rules. I'll walk you through each step of the block, showing how to maximize wonkiness while creating a block that spins out in a spiral. We'll sew several blocks together to ensure you feel comfortable with this method before we're done. Along the way, I'll share cutting and measuring tips to help your blocks come together more easily. Two layout options are available; with and without sashing.
3-hour workshop
Separate pattern purchase required.


ZuZu Squares
Take wonky piecing to the next level with this whimsical design! ZuZu Squares combines wonky log cabin techniques with pieced skinny strips (feel free to use a printed stripe or other contrasting fabric instead) for a quilt packed with wonkiness! This workshop includes step-by-step demonstrations for piecing the skinny strips, and then creating wonky log cabins, log by log. As we sew, I'll share cutting and measuring tips to help your blocks come together more easily.
3-hour workshop
Separate pattern purchase required.


Want to learn more? Email me: lisaeruble (at) gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment